Wednesday 19 January 2011

Hot purple kale chips

I admit it, I am completely and totally addicted to kale chips, I can't get enough of them! My favourite recipe is usually the Renegade Health Show's cheezy kale chips (you can find the recipe on this blog- look in the alphabetical index on the right hand side titled "Labels", under cheezy kale chips) as they're completely delicious and tangy and addictive. But yesterday I invented a new kale chip recipe. I'd bought some from Inspiral last week that had purple corn in, so I decided to use some of that in mine too. I used a different recipe to theirs though- I looked on the tub and the Inspiral ones just had cashews, nutritional yeast and salt in. And kale, obviously. Here is my recipe:


1/2 cup cashew nuts, soaked for 2 hours
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons purple corn flour
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 chilli (I used a scotch bonnet, seeds and all, which made them really spicy! You might want to use a little less, or a less strong chilli... if the mix is too hot, add a little more agave)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Whizz it all up in the food processor until smooth- you may need to add to some water to get it to the right consistency- thickish but still runny- I think I added about 1/4 cup, maybe more.

Then coat the kale with it really well, rub it in so it's all stuck to the leaves.
I used 1 pack of organic curly kale from Waitrose- I can't remember how much that is in weight- probably the equivalent of one head/ bunch whatever they call it.

Then spread the kale out on teflex sheets on dehydrator trays- use enough trays so that it's well spread out, not all clumped together, so the air is able to circulate and the kale can dry out properly.

Dehydrate for about 8 hours at 105 degrees until crispy.

Keep in an airtight container. Well, I've eaten the whole lot already so storage isn't a problem! Enjoy!

This picture is my lunch today- more courgette pasta, but this time with marinara sauce, the one from Raw Food Made Easy For 1 or 2 People, which is the best tomato sauce I've made, it's really rich and tasty. And just a little salad of pea shoots and spouts and stuff with it. I also scoffed a load of blueberries, flax crackers, macademia nuts, goji berries, kale chips, a Nakd bar, and a bar of Raw chocolate throughout the day! And had a green juice for breakfast. All very satisfying and delicious. I did also make a kind of coleslaw with red and white cabbage mixed with more carrot-ginger dressing but didn't manage to eat that, so will have it for lunch tomorrow. Might make some guacamole too to have with crackers- I'm working late tomorrow night so will have to bring enough stuff for dinner as well as lunch. I'll let you know what I concoct!

No comments:

Post a Comment