Sunday 22 August 2010

Kale salad

Ok, so this is probably another case of one of my dishes looking revolting but tasting great! I made it from Russell James' recipe for Wilted Kale Salad with a Creamy Chipotle Dressing. I know it doesn't look like much but it is a great, unusual salad. It's got a lovely slightly smoky, spicy taste from the chipotle chili, and a richness from the kale. Word of warning- if you haven't got a Vitamix (which I  haven't YET, it's out of my budget at the moment... but still patiently waiting, one is coming soon right Universe?!) don't bother trying to make the dressing in a normal blender, it's not going to work... believe me, I tried it last time and had no joy. But it works fine in a normal food processor, so just do that if you don't have what they call a 'high speed blender' (i.e. a Vitamix, which are just brilliant... can you tell I really want one...? ;))

Was going to invent a raw soup tonight out of the veggies left over in my fridge at the moment but never got round to it due to eating too many chocolate cookies (see yesterday's post) and flax crackers. I'm going to stay with my dad in France for a few days from tomorrow so made some more crackers and jalapeno burgers to take with me, as you have no idea how hard it is going to be for me to eat raw when I'm there! My dad thinks being veggie is weird enough, let alone vegan, and though he tries to understand, and will eat raw things when I make them for him, I know he thinks people that are raw are a load of crackpots! Which I do understand, it can all seem a bit weird until you find out more about the health benefits. It is a bit frustrating though as he is diabetic, but he won't look properly at any links I send him about how you can cure type 2 diabetes with raw food. He thinks that raw food people are "a load of old hippies from the sixties"!

He is actually a lot better than he used to be though and he does eat more vegetables and salads, and has learnt to make a lentil and vegetable casserole, so he is trying to be healthier. He is also recovering from bladder cancer, my mum died from breast cancer, my uncle has prostate cancer and I also have 2 cousins with breast cancer. So our family history is one of the main reasons why I am taking my health into my own hands and being proactive in trying to attain optimum health. And I have never felt happier or healthier since I started my raw journey.

The burgers I made (currently in the dehydrator) are the best I've ever made- I think I might even persuade my dad to eat them and like them. I've made them bigger and they're a more professional looking round shape, rather than my usual lumpy mess, and they taste great, really spicy. And my flax crackers came out great too. So I may not be able to update for a few days while I'm away but I'll fill you in on my trip when I'm back and if I managed to stay raw. My intention is to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment